An Amphibious Light Sport Aircraft With A Training Center
ICON Aircraft is a privately held American aircraft design and production company. ICON is selling its ICON A5, an amphibious light sport aircraft. To facilitate the sale of these beautiful, innovative LSAs, it opened the ICON Flight Center (IFC) at Tampa’s Peter O. Knight Airport.
IFC Tampa joins ICON’s existing IFC in Northern California and will serve as a convenient East Coast hub where A5 deposit holders and the general public can complete flight training and rent aircraft.
What is a light sport aircraft? The LSA is a small aircraft that is simple to fly and that meets certain regulations set by the FAA restricting weight and performance. The FAA defines a light sport aircraft as an aircraft, other than a helicopter, which meets the following:
- Gross Takeoff Weight: 1,320 lbs (600 kg) or 1,430 lbs for seaplanes (650 kg)
- Stall Speed: 51 mph / 45 knots CAS
- Speed in Level Flight (at sea level at standard temperature): 138 mph / 120 knots CAS
- Seats: Two (max.)
- Engines / Motors: One (max. if powered.)
- Propeller: Fixed-pitch or ground adjustable
- Cabin: Unpressurized
- Fixed-pitch, semi-rigid, teetering, two-blade rotor system, if a gyroplane.
- Landing Gear: Fixed (except for seaplanes and gliders)
The FAA goal for this category to stimulate flying by introducing less expensive aircraft, to lower the cost of owning and operating them and by establishing an LSA pilot standard commensurate to the simpler and easier to fly this entry level vehicle. The FAA Certification Service articulated its vision for the LSA in this statement:
Focusing on increasing industry accountability and safety through appropriate regulations and policy, enable a successful, industry-led, self-declarative compliance and audit system to the applicable regulations and industry-developed and maintained consensus standards for SLSA to yield a fatal accident rate equivalent to or better than existing “personal” aviation without FAA type design certification or direct FAA production oversight.
A sport pilot may exercise flight privileges in one or more of the following aircraft categories:
- Airplane (single-engine only)
- Lighter-than-air (airship or balloon)
- Rotorcraft (gyroplane only)
- Powered Parachute
- Weight-Shift control aircraft (e.g. Trikes)
- Creates a new student sport pilot certificate.
- Creates a new sport pilot flight instructor certificate.
- Requires FAA knowledge (written) and practical (flight) tests.
- Credits sport pilot flight time toward more advanced pilot ratings.
- Requires either a 3rd class FAA medical certificate or a current and valid U.S. driver’s license as evidence of medical eligibility (provided the individual’s most recent application for an FAA medical certificate was not denied, revoked, suspended or withdrawn).
- Does not allow carrying passengers for compensation or hire.
- Does not allow flights in furtherance of business.
- Allows sharing (“pro-rata”) operating expenses with another pilot or passenger.
- Allows daytime flight only.
- Allow sport pilots to fly vintage and production aircraft (standard airworthiness certificate) that meet the definition of a light sport aircraft.
ICON’s mission is to reinvent personal flying by providing consumer-friendly, safe, technologically advanced aircraft that allow the freedom, fun, and adventure of flying to be accessible to those who have dreamed of it. ICON’s long-term vision is the ultimate democratization of personal flight. This is the beginning of that process. ICON’s first aircraft is the A5, an amphibious sport plane that fuses outstanding aeronautical engineering with world-class product design. It has won some of the world’s most prestigious design awards and has inspired a global following. The company has received more than 1,800 deposits, representing $400M in aircraft orders, and delivered the first production aircraft in July 2015. ICON Aircraft’s facilities are in Northern California, 50 miles northeast of San Francisco.
ICON has designed an awesome plane and now is offering a training facility that will make it easier to command the A5!!!