Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS) Services
JDA provides new entrant commercial UAS operators’ with safety, legal, airspace and flight standards experts to ensure their operation meets FAA requirements including:
- Petitions for Exemption under FAA Section 333
- The civil Certificate of Waiver or Authorization (COA)
- Safety Risk Assessment of intended operation
- Standard Operating Procedures and Checklists
- Safety Management Systems
- Pilot and Safety Observer Training
Preparation of Section 333 Exemption
The FAA’s authority to issue exemptions from operating rules, and the authority granted by Section 333 of Public Law 112-95, Special Rules for Certain Unmanned Aircraft Systems, provide an opportunity to authorize certain commercial UAS flight operations in the National Airspace System until the passage of the small UAS rule. The Petition for Exemption under Section 333 must address specific requirements and it can be a daunting task. JDA will work with you to prepare and submit the Petition to the FAA.
COA (Certificate of Authorization)
When the Petition for Exemption is granted, the UAS Operator is automatically granted a COA to operate during daytime Visual Flight Rules (VFR) conditions, within Visual Line of Slight (VLOS) for flights at or below 200 feet and away from airports as noted below with UAS that weigh less than 55 pounds.
- 5 NM away from airports with an operational control tower
- 3 NM away from airports with published instrument flight procedures but no control tower
- 2 NM from airports with no published instrument flight procedures and no control tower
- 2 NM from heliports with published instrument flight procedure
If you plan to fly your UAS above 200’ or need to operate under conditions beyond those stipulated in the blanket COA JDA can assist you with the COA process.
Safety Risk Assessment
Commercial UAS operators should apply the same operational and safety principles as those that operate manned airplanes. A safety risk assessment (SRA) should be completed for the intended operation to ensure that all potential safety issues are identified, assessed and mitigated before UAS flight operations are initiated. JDA’s FAA qualified SRA experts will lead you through an intensive SRA process with the resultant SRA report being included in your Petition and COA application.
SOP (Standard Operating Procedures)
Standardizing operational procedures enhances safety, creates efficiencies, increases quality control, and ensures consistency in the way you operate. We develop SOPs and manuals customized to your operation to ensure a standard of safety and culture for your operation.
SMS (Safety Management Systems)
Implementing an SMS establishes the foundation for your corporate safety culture. It enables safety events to be assessed, evaluated and addressed providing assurances that the risks associated with your operation are managed to acceptable levels.
JDA is a MITRE licensed SMS training and implementation company and we will work with you to develop and implement an SMS tailored to your operation.
Training & Education
We provide training for UAS commercial operators on:
- • FAA regulations and requirements
- • Flight operations
- • Safety requirements
- • SMS
- • SRA
From the Blog
- The Weekly Drone Publication UAS Digest #79
March 24, 2017
- Airports Needed, but near term solutions should Maximize use of Existing Capacity
March 23, 2017
- ATC must be aware of the insidious A-380 Wake Vortex
March 23, 2017
JDA Aviation Technology Solutions
4720 Montgomery Lane
Bethesda, MD 20814
Toll Free: 1-877-JDA-AERO (877-532-2376)