The International Business Aviation Council (IBAC) developed the International Standard for Business Aircraft Operations (IS-BAO), a code of best practices. Similar to ISO 9000 standards; it is a globally accepted "gold seal" for business aviation operations attesting highest standards in operational safety and efficiency and also becoming a regulatory requirement in different parts of the world.
IS-BAO is a voluntary standard. Your flight department may elect to:
- Use IS-BAO for to evaluate how well your flight department matches these recognized global best practices.
- Implement IS-BAO and evaluate compliance through an internal audit.
- Implement IS-BAO and confirm compliance through an audit by an IBAC accredited auditor to obtain a Certificate of Registration.
Benefits of IS-BAO
- Save money. Nearly one-third of IS-BAO registered operators report insurance premium savings as a result of registration.
- Improve safety. Adoption of IS-BAO standards would have prevented 25% of business aviation accidents occurring over the last five-years.
- Enhance security. The IS-BAO process is the best method for analyzing threats and developing a security program tailored to your operation.
- Easy to understand Metrics. The IS-BAO analytical tools can be easily communicated to non-aviation managers, improving the standing of the flight operation within the corporate organization.
- Greater passenger and corporate confidence and satisfaction. The IS-BAO analysis and procedures provide more consistent level of service for passengers, spotlighting the discipline and professionalism of your flight operation.
Key IS-BAO requirements
IS-BAO lists the requirements of what a professional flight department should achieve, rather than how things must be done.
Flight Operations Manual a set of documented procedures, process and programs to satisfy the standards appropriate to the individual operations.
SMS (Safety Management System) is the cornerstone of the IS-BAO standard. It is a systematic process for identification and proactive management of safety-risks, integrating the management of operations and technical systems with resource and financial management.
Implementing SMS is the first step toward a corporate safety cultural that elevates every facet of the operation to the highest practical safety and security standards available.
Five steps to IS-BAO implementation
- Purchase the materials from your national or regional business aviation association.
- Use the IS-BAO framework to identify safety and security hazards and their risks.
- Develop procedures to eliminate the hazards or reduce risk to reasonable levels.
- Integrate procedures into your systems, programs, operating procedures and manuals.
- Complete an optional independent assessment by an accredited IS-BAO auditor.
An audit of your procedures, manuals, and safety management system by an independent third-party auditor is an integral part of the process to ensure standards are met. Satisfactory completion of the audit results in IS-BAO registration.
JDA is an IS-BAO implementation support service provider and has IBAC Accredited Auditors on staff.
JDA Aviation Technology Solutions
4720 Montgomery Lane
Bethesda, MD 20814
Toll Free: 1-877-JDA-AERO (877-532-2376)