MARK YOUR CALENDAR FOR NOVEMBER 18 AT 10AM.
The below link will lead you to a webcast of this important legislative event.
At that time, Aviation Subcommittee Chair Bill Shuster will gavel the hearing to order. Recent FAA issuance of four short term goals, the Joint Implementation Plan announcement, the ADS-B Summit, and multiple expressions of concerns about the costs and benefits of NextGen make this a timely hearing.
As usual the subcommittee staff has prepared a comprehensive and insightful hearing memorandum. It highlights the opinions of relevant experts like the RTCA NAC, the GAO, the DoT IG and MITRE. The text of that document will seed the Majority and Minority with penetrating questions.
The witness list includes the expected aviation leaders, but includes a heavyweight beyond that normal circle. Here are the witnesses:
- The Honorable Calvin Scovel, III, Inspector General, Department of Transportation
- Mr. Nicholas Calio, President and CEO, Airlines for America
- Mr. Mark Baker, President and CEO, Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association
- Captain Lee Moak, President, Air Line Pilots Association
- The Honorable John Engler, President, Business Roundtable
- Mr. Paul Rinaldi, President, National Air Traffic Controllers Association
The inclusion of Gov. Engler from the Business Roundtable should add the macroeconomics benefits of NextGen.
It is difficult to predict what the questions will be, but the answers are certain to influence critical terms of the 2015 FAA Reauthorization first draft.
Be sure to tune in.
Share this article: