Pre-Flight Check lists, Minimum Equipment Lists, Lists of DARs and Lists of Approved Vendors in your MX Manual are among a few of the plethora of the compendia collected by the aviation professionals. To add to the cornucopia of knowledge, here are a few of less safety value and more fun:
1. World’s 10 most stunning airport approaches—Selected for their beauty, this top ten may qualify as among the most challenging. Hopefully, the cockpit crew keeps their eyes on the runway and not the scenic vistas!
2. 10 of the Most Dangerous Airports in the World—According to Popular Mechanics, this is their top 10 of difficult landings, but there is no San Diego—how credible is PM’s expertise without SAN?
3. Revealed: pilots’ secret danger list—this dated list included: Leeds-Bradford, England, Rome’s Fiumicino, Hamburg, Germany, Kai Tak, Hong Kong, Gibraltar, Funchal-Madeira, the Seychelles and Ushuaia in Argentina.
4. The EU List of Banned airlines (unsafe)—The EU Safety List (i.e. “Community list of air carriers which are subject to an operating ban within the Community”) is a list of airlines which the European Commission, pursuant to Regulation (EC) No 2111/2005 of the European Parliament and the Council of 14 December 2005 on the establishment of a Community list of air carriers subject to an operating ban within the Community and on informing air transport passengers of the identity of the operating air carrier and on the basis of the advice of the EU Air Safety Committee, decided to subject to either a complete or a partial operating ban within the European Union, for failure to adhere to the applicable international safety standards. TWENTY PAGES OF AIRLINES PROHIBITED FROM FLYING INTO THE EU.
6. Here Are the Best and Worst Airlines in the U.S.—The Street ® ranks them on the basis of service and reliability.
Not a list, but so useful, it’s included: